Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Blessed Diaper Rash Update

Ok, this mama spent the morning taking care of Grace's rash. Many thanks for the wonderful invention known as email. Whitney emailed me the picture of the rash and between her amazing ER nurse skills and my clinical skills we were able to spitball through the differential diagnoses yeast, versus contact dermatitis, versus impetigo. We settled on contact dermatitis to be treated with a combination of desitin and antibiotic ointment to stave off secondary infection. Through this I learned something valuable about my Gracie. She is potty trained already throughout the day. So proud of my little girl. I also found out potty training there is a bit different than here. Gracie wears a dress each day and squats outside or in a little bucket. I have a feeling our ginormous toilet with that huge suction and running water will scare her to death. Note to self...buy a kiddie potty prior to the babies coming home.

This reminds me of a funny story. When Zachary came home, he had an intense fear of running water. His first bath in the Marriott in Moscow consisted of a screaming toddler clawing at me to get out. His fear lasted quite some time. We went through a period where we finally pushed him to flush the toilet when he was done. This became a rather funny thing in our house as he tried to conquer his fear. He would get off the toilet pull his pants up, check the hallway to be sure it was clear, flush and run. We had to get him to the place where he could stand to be in the bathroom with the bathtub running, this took a while too. He kept saying,"I'm gonna sink out!" we never quite figured out what this phrase meant, but it is one we use at times even now as a huge source of family humor. Even Zachary laughs about it. Who knew swimming would be his favorite thing in the whole world? Ah yes...fears of orphanage children. I wonder what Grace and Alex's will be? One thing is for sure, two if our children were afraid of water, one was afraid of never having food, and one had a huge fear of thunder. So, if it is any of those we are prepared. Anything else will require on the job training. I think we are up to that challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment