Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Diaper Rash, Such a Blessing...

I know, a strange title. How is it a diaper rash is a blessing? Well, it probably has not gone unnoticed that my blogging has not been as regular as before. I guess that is mostly due to the complete lack of interesting information. No updates on the adoption, just torturous waiting, and waiting, and waiting some more. I really cannot impart any words of wisdom in that situation let alone try to celebrate it or convey any magical joy. So, I kept my dismay to myself. Then, today, a diaper rash.

Whitney, who is living in Haiti and checking on my beautiful babies a couple times a week emailed. Grace has a diaper rash. She gave me her thoughts and promised to send me a picture if I was ok with that. Being a nurse practitioner, yes, I need to see it. I was able to throw on my clinical hat and get busy throwing out treatment options. There is lotrimin for yeast, or talking through diaper wipes versus water if it appears to be a contact dermatitis, or the benefits of zinc oxide versus a and d. Yeah, that's right, I was going to beat back this diaper rash. So, here i sit waiting til morning to get the picture so between Whitney, my nurse friend and myself we can treat this effectively.

Through all of this, I became acutely aware how excited I was. The dulldrom of an awful wait as one day bleeds into another, the sadness that seems to come in awful waves as I miss these little people I quite honestly barely know, all suddenly broken by a diaper rash. An awful painful diaper rash. I get to make my baby better. I get to figure it out and monitor her progress through my angel Whitney's eyes, and just be momma. It dawned on me this is what us momma's do. We treat diaper rashes, we wipe snotty noses, we clean up late night puke, and wipe the boo boo's. There are a lot of days I scoff at the unglamorous side of being a mother, but today, I got to be an unglamorous momma to Grace for the first time. So, yes, a diaper rash truly is a blessing to me.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to have that type of info from someone you trust. Especially when Rachel isn't there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are doing a series on technology in our church right now and I'm continually reminded through this process how incredibly blessed we are to have it--who would have known she even had a diaper rash let alone get a picture of it to know how to help treat it if we didn't have technology. : ) Blessings of a healed bottom for Grace and blessings of Mommahood to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete