Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Parquet Court take four...

I realize people who read this blog are left hanging. The fact that I gushed on and on about the location of Grace's mom and her triumphant return another time to parquet court that was to take place yesterday. Well, anyone familiar with the government in Haiti would probably not find it surprising that it did not happen. Grace's mother went to court only the commissaire was not there and that is who she needs to meet with. In the end we learned the commissaire meets with parents on Wednesdays. So, she is going tomorrow.

Despite the repeated delays, this woman that ins Grace's mother continues to amaze me.  Although nobody could get a hold of her for weeks, the minute they found her, she came. She is willing to stay in PAP as long as it takes. Yet, in the end, she is giving up her child. I guess I should be aggravated with this little delay, but I am not. I can only imagine Grace's mother spending what will likely be the last prolonged period of time with her before she joins our family. How it must be saying goodbye. How it must be to look at Grace and imagine what she will be as she grows up. Yes, over and over again I am humbled by this woman who so bravely is giving up this little girl for us.

The reality is when we chose the name Grace it was for selfish reasons. We felt that it was God's grace bringing us this little girl. It was neat that Ann means One of Grace, which is my mother's name, and my middle name. As time marches on, I have learned Grace is a great deal more than what I ever dreamed. Spending time with Grace's mother, unable to communicate due to a language barrier I could feel her pain as she sat stoicly watching her little girl scream,"daddy!" as she ran across the orphanage to jump into Tim's arms. She bravely sat next to me as Grace would play on and off with me, and although my heart broke for her, no tears were shed by her on that day. Ignoring her own feelings, giving her precious daughter a life she could not provide was a form of grace I have never seen up close. To hug me and say thank you was grace. I have a feeling her name will be the epitome of her story, rather than a neat name we liked.

Tomorrow, she will go to parquet again. She will stand before a judge and be asked again if she understands Grace is being adopted. She will be asked again if she agrees, and knowing her she will gracefully agree and sign, thus ending her involvement in the adoption process. Although I pray for a good outcome tomorrow, I pray for God to ease Grace's mother's heart and make tomorrow go quickly and easily for her.

As for me, I am learning more that despite delays, despite frustrations, "Your Grace is enough for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment