Monday, November 7, 2011

Amazing Gifts

There are times in this process when you just begin to feel as though you are at one end of a very large tunnel.  In my metaphorical tunnel, there are train tracks.  I see trains going back and forth through the tunnel, but I never seem to move.  My babies are at the other end and it just seems like having them in my arms forever is just so far away, yet the trains keep moving.  I find myself wanting to throw rocks at the trains that pass so easily at times.  Just about the time I am ready to throw myself on the tracks and give up, something happens.  Some little beam of light that shines through my tunnel guiding me closer to the babies. 

Yesterday, I saw that light.  This time it came in the form of two lovely young ladies who, as it turns out, are working in the orphanage.  They have been there for two months and have grown to love my children.  They friended me on Facebook which opened up a treasure trove of information.  I saw pictures, I got a long email describing my babies in brilliant detail.  I learned that Alex thinks having his diaper changed is hilarious.  I learned that Nate is fairly regimented in his routine.  I found that really funny because I already have two boys like that!!  Most importantly, I learned that Nate is very concerned with Alex.  Out of fifteen babies, Nate is close to Alex not even understanding that he is in fact, his new brother.  Nate is forever standing over Alex with his bottles saying "Baby Mange!"  (Baby Eat!)  Their caregiver told me it must be a God thing that the two are so close.  In fact, I think she was relieved they were to be forever brothers.  I also learned Nate is the caregiver of the bunch.  He is the first to rub the babies backs who are crying and is very consoling.  I got to feel that I knew my boys that much better, a jump start on bringing them home. 

I got a brighter light later in the day.  My friend Denise, a fellow mama blanc, is there visiting.  She shared with me that Rachel took Nate to church yesterday.  When he was so ill, she stayed up all night and begged God to spare him.  Truth be told, I did too.  She promised God that she would testify if He would just save him.  The next day, Nate received the blood she had arranged.  The doctor warned one transfusion would not do it.  His hemoglobin was 2.  This is not compatable with life.  Not only did he survive, but his hemoglobin skyrocketed leaving the docs scratching their heads I think.  Rachel took him to church yesterday.  She took him to the altar and testified of God's graces for my beautiful son.  I found myself, again, humbled at the power of God.  I guess it would not just be the power, but the fact that He chose my son to give grace too.  It makes me wonder what God's plans are for this boy.  His life has been spared three times in Haiti.  His twin died of malnutrition before he was brought to the orphanage.  He became dangerously anemic in March and almost died then too, now this.  I cannot wait to see what His plan is!!!

1 comment:

  1. He is such a special little man... thankful that he is going to such amazing parents! The girls helping there are such a blessing. Selfishly hoping that one of them will just stay and help do updates for families :)

    ReplyDelete