Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

As I reflect on the holiday of Thanksgiving, I cannot help but think about that special Thanksgiving five years ago. We spent about 16 hours on a plane with one layover in Atlanta bringing home our precious Zachary. He was fifteen months old to the day. I remember the plane ride and he was just so good. Fourteen hours in the air without a break and all he did was eat and sleep. When we finally landed in Cincinnati, the airport was deserted. Actually, our flight from Atlanta to Cincinnati was deserted. It was late,and outside of us, there were only two other people on the plane. I will never forget taking the escalator up to baggage claim in cincinnati to see our extended waiting family. It was like a private homecoming. When we got home, we ate our Thanksgiving leftovers out of plastic containers. After 18 days in Russia, food never tasted so good. I remember standing in the doorway of Zachary's nursery long after everyone had gone and I thought how nice it was to finally see that crib full. It was as if I wanted to memorize every feature in his face as if he would be gone by morning and it would have all been a dream. That wasn't true though. That same little boy jumped up and down in the doorway leading into the house as I pulled in the garage after work tonight. It reminded me once again, despite my grief over losing Nate and the uncertainty of Alex's process, one day his crib will be full too, and I am truly thankful for my adoptions.

1 comment: