Monday, February 13, 2012

A Cure for the Adoption Funk

Yes, that's right, as the title implies I have what I affectionately refer to as the "Adoption Funk".  It is those periods of time where there is literally nothing to do.  No papers to fill out, no notaries to get, no nothing.  The only thing to do is wait.  In the wait, there are plenty of questions,"When do they come home?" or "What do you know?"  I always wished I had a good answer to this, but I never do.  One of my friends, who knows me well asked me yesterday,"How do you stand it?  How are you this calm?  I don't think I could do it."   She said.  This I had the perfect answer for,"This is all fake."  I said.  Fortunately, this is a wonderful Christian friend who I can be perfectly transparent with.  And so it goes...life with the Funk. 

Then today, a cure.  I have found the only thing that really helps with the funk is to try to find something else to keep busy.  In my world, this generally means doing something for someone else.  Today, I had the great honor of volunteering for The Jesus Prom.  It is an event put on by our church for children with special needs.  We put on the whole deal, hair and make up for the girls, roll out the red carpet, live music and a catered meal.  I really wanted to be part of this.  So, today, I got the schedule cleared for Sunday and texted the head of the event.  I told him to put me where he needs me.  The answer I got made me so excited.  I get to be a member of the paparazzi.  I get the honor of taking pictures of all the participants as they come down the red carpet.  At that moment, I knew what else I needed to do.  I asked my 15 year old son to accompany me.  He is a wonderful child who does so much for this family.  He is so thoughtful and loving, but has never really had the opportunity to serve God on anything like this.  He is nervous about being there as he is not sure what to do.   I remember feeling that way too.  In the end, I will bring him to serve along side me.  My baby boy  (ok, he is 5 ft 8, and has a learners permit to drive) serving God on a bigger scale for the first time.  I decided it is one thing to help me shop for Christmas boxes, or donate clothing, but another to make a human connection in the name of God.  I feel so lucky to be able to stand along side him as he experiences it.  What a gift.   

With that, my funk is now gone.  I get to spend my week praying God will move him to see how he can be used.  I also pray he will feel the honor of being part of this amazing event. I can't help but wonder if this event is part of the teaching God is providing me in this waiting time.  As my brother said, my wait for the babies will be up when I learn what God is trying to teach me.   I think God must have something in mind for Jack too.  We planned to take him to Haiti when the babies are ready to come home, perhaps this is his time to start to learn to see God's mission for him.   In the meantime, I also get to remember my babies this week as they prepare for their own big event...Carnival!!!  It sounds like an amazing Haitian tradition coming up next week.  Hmmmm....perhaps I will fight off next week's funk with learning more about that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment