Monday, January 9, 2012

Keeping Busy...

I have found international adoption to be tolerable when I am best able to play that game with  myself where I can feel I am accomplishing something to bring the babies home, when the reality is I have no control whatsoever.  This weekend I threw myself into caring for Grace and Alex's hair and skin.  I poured over webpage after webpage trying to unlock the mystery of their hair and skin.  As it turns out, it could not be more different than mine.  Fortunately, one of my fellow Mama Blanc's, and best support and friend, Denise, came to my rescue.  She gave me lists of things to look at and it really helped.  As I type this, there are a host of hair products on the way for the babies:  sulfate free shampoo, leave in conditioner, and daily spray in conditioner.  I have watched tutorials on detangling and twisting and I am feeling pretty good about it all.  Today, I went on a mission to find the detangling comb and brush.  I went in to Sally Beauty Supply only to be met by a clerk who was quite friendly.  She inquired about my adoptions, because obviously my straight brunette soft hair did not need these things.  I cheerfully explained about Grace and Alex.  First, she could not comprehend having five children.  She raised her eyebrows through her smiles like I was crazy.  Then, the mother of all comments,"You are adopting two black children?  You know you will get looks, not from people as enlightened as me, but you will get looks." 

It was then that I began to think about writing a book on ignorant adoption comments.  I have heard lots of them,"Oh, you are adopting children from another country.  That is really in fashion now, like Angelina Jolie."  Yes, I adopted long before she did, and I do not consider my children fashionable accessories. 

Here is another,"You get maternity leave?  What for?  You don't have a newborn."  OK, so I am not supposed to take the time to bond with this child to whom I am a stranger? 

How about,"Are they 'real' brothers and sisters?"  No, they only live in the same house, argue over toys and conspire lovingly because they are fake siblings. 

The list goes on.  I guess these are people we pray for.  People that cannot see God's plan for family.  God's plan for saving us from loneliness and saving our children from starvation and a life without love.  To me, the plan is incredible and has given me a life I could not have imagined in my younger days.  Now, if we could just get the Haitian government moving just a wee bit faster....am missing my beautiful children!!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment