Monday, July 11, 2011

Plans Change

Yesterday, we had a fabulous sermon about plans changing. Our pastor discussed how God can change your plans for a variety of reasons. This really struck a chord with me. It gave me a chance to reallylook at the last few years. In 2004, life was good. We had lived in Dayton for four years. We lived near Tim's whole family. We went to church together spent many Sunday dinners at my mother-in-law's house and lots of time together with my husband's brother's family. Wee had holidays and summer barbecues, we had it all figured out. Then many of our plans changed. I guess you could say we really didn't have plans at that point. We felt, I think we had arrived. Good jobs, great family, we had it all. Then, Tim's mom died suddenly of a brain hemorrhage, a year later his aunt who lived with his mother died too, then in a crushing blow, my sister-in-law died. That left the only woman still living in our group was me. I remember wondering why God would take all of them inside of 15 months. I didn't feel equipped to take any of their places. We helped make sense of Tim's mother's death by taking the money we inherited and adopting Zachary. He made us happy and once again we pulled it together and made our lives work. Then came the job issues for Tim through a downsizing scare and finally the odd opportunity that brought us to West Virginia. At the time, it seemed somehow crazy that we would leave our comfortable existence to come here. We didn't know a soul and had never even been here. Somehow though, we know God was leading us here. I remember being afraid. I remember worrying constantly and thinking how none of it made sense.

As I listened to the sermon though, I was able to see it all really made sense to God. At the time I couldn't even dream what we are living now. I couldn't imagine Nate or our faith lives or anything, yet here we are. I guess in some ways I can see God smiling and laughing right now saying "I told you so!" I have a feeling when I see Nate face to face I will hear God's laughter loud and clear. Only four weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment