Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reflecting

What else can you do while stuck in Miami for a four hour layover? Think about the trip and all of it's glory. Yesterday, we were to go to the orphanage to meet Nate's birth mother. She never did come. However we we're blessed to see the interaction of the other parents and their child's birth mother and sister. To be honest meeting my child's birth mother has been a source of anxiety for me, but they handled it with such grace. It gave me an idea of just how hard things are for the women of Haiti. Rachel told us that really there is no birth control available and mostly the women find men who can provide for them and have children. Often things happen to the men, they leave or die or something, then the women are left to fend for themselves and their children. Many times women have more than one father to their children just trying to survive. These things are unimaginable for me.

Nate did not handle being at the orphanage with us very well. We were trying desperately to hug the children as they swarmed around us, while still trying to focus on Nate. He did not like me holding other children and I found him crying more than once, when the only time he cried in the guest house was if he had to go potty. As much as I don't like to see him cry, it made me happy that he had claimed us as his parents and didn't really want to share. Ultimately, we ended up in a separate room to play for a while. At that time he was getting into this breakable bowl. We told him no and he went to hide behind my chair, his face stricken. He did not like being in trouble and I think he was fearful we wouldn't love him. It took a lot of coaxing to come out, but ultimately he recovered. When it came time for us to go, he cried and cried. We watched as the nannies bathed him and when his jammies were on we got to hug him and calm him down. At this point I was trying to find that magical way to escape with him in my arms. No such luck. We said our goodbyes and then it was my turn to cry.

The good news is, I miss my babies at home and after talking to them from Miami I know they are waiting with open arms. We keep hearing we need to return to Haiti soon to meet with the dean as we should be through social services soon. We will keep praying that comes quickly. Apparently we do not need presidential dispensation so we should go faster than the other families. However, thank you Denise for letting me know signatures are starting!!! Praying for you too!

1 comment:

  1. oh the leaving is so hard! i am praying that you are able to feel God's comfort and peace as you transition to life back at home. It usually takes me about 3 weeks to feel "normal" again, but hopefully not so long for you. I'm SO happy to hear how well he bonded with you! He sounds like a sweet boy. And no, you shouldn't need a dispensation - so hopefully you'll be through IBESR in no time at all!

    ReplyDelete