Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A week of lasts...

Well I did it. I finished my last 12 hour shift in the trauma center before we leave. As I was reflecting on my day it dawned on me I was having a week of lasts. Monday, my daughter surprised me by coming to my Zumba class with me. She has been working a lot and is usually too tired. What a blessing it was. She excitedly told me about finishing high school this year. She shared her hopes and her dreams and laughed and laughed. I have been feeling nostalgic about her adoption remembering the beautiful little three year old girl who sat at my table sipping hot tea and speaking fluent Russian. It seems like yesterday. Now before me was this girl who had faced a lot of challenge and was now becoming an amazing young adult. It was so nice to spend one last evening with her as I am also realizing these evenings are becoming numbered as she is quickly growing up.

Tonight I sit in my recliner, next to Jack in his recliner and we watch our favorite show and enjoy our last night together. Tomorrow will bring a long scheduled afternoon date with five year old Zachary. He is a bit upset about being without his mommy, so he has planned a trip to Target. I believe he has some Lego's in mind to soften the blow! I have a trip to Starbucks in mind so he and I can play the game of Life on my iPad as he loves to do. Maybe this time I will win! LOL! Then it is off to Columbus for dinner with my favorite niece for her birthday and overnight at a hotel airport for our early flight Friday.

The lasts go on and on, last trip to the bank, last trip to church, last conversation with certain friends and on and on. However, there was one last I actually bailed out on. I called my mom tonight. Her recent struggle is newly diagnosed breast cancer. She had her work up
today and wanted to fill me in on the events and I wanted to be there for her. This led to other discussion on this or that and it dawned on me, I wasn't ready to have this last conversation be it. She must not of either as she asked me to call her again before we leave.
I was happy to oblige.

It is funny how I have had all these little opportunities with each important person before leaving on a journey that will be a whole new chapter in our lives. I must admit nerves have set in as we excitedly see what God has for us. In a lot of ways I am humbled by all of this. I guess I never fathomed we could do something like this, and I am amazed at how God has blessed us so much already, so Nate is just our special gift and in two days I get to see him!
Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment