Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The perfect Gift

I guess I have spent a lot of time in the last few days innsearch of the perfect gift. I had to consider each child's interests, what they wanted and honoring my own Christmas traditions. For some reason over the years I have several things I do for them. First, they always get a calendar. I like the challenge of figuring out this year's interests and finding the perfect wall calendar. Then, they always get a book. I think Christmas needs to be about more than toys. Zachary does not read my blog yet, so I am safe in sharing that he got the coolest shark book, complete with a look inside a shark with a plastic model. He LOVES sharks. Katya does read my blog, so sorry honey, you gotta wait until Sunday! Then, I always get them a stuffed animal. Usually, it is three matching animals. This year is no exception. I usually get them a big animal so that in the afternoon I get to watch them be littered about the floor watching movies still in their jammies all resting on their animals. Then, there is the wfsj's. That stands for Waiting For Santa Jammies. I have to put the initials on the tag so that I can find the packages easily on Christmas Eve. I also have to get them something very representative of me, a gift from my only vise...Starbucks. Lol!

I have spent weeks working on all of this. The last few days, I have been off finishing the shopping, wrapping, making a Christmas lunch for Tim's employees and generally running around like a crazy person. In the midst of it all, my heart aches to see my other two children. What would I get them this year? Why can't they be here? Why can't I just get an update from Haiti? Lots of my fellow mom's are reaching new adoption milestones. I am happy to see things moving, I just wish it were my turn. So, through the exhaustion and holiday crabbiness, tonight I picked the boys up from gymnastics and finally got home. On the door was a note that Santa had stopped by early for me. There was a trail of bows on the floor leading to a wrapped package. Tin stood there beaming with pride as I read a wonderful note telling me how much they appreciate me. I opened the present and found a wonderful speaker system for my iPhone. He knows I love to cook. I love making new things and putting out good meals. I experiment with fresh herbs and things, I find it relaxing. Usually I listen to my iPhone while I do it. This system will make the music sound so much better! I loved it. The thing is, this was the perfect gift on the perfect day. I had killed myself the last few days so that tomorrow ihad no errands to do. It is baking day. One of my favorites. I make sugar cookie dough and we roll them out and make cookies for Santa. I grew up with this tradition with my mom. She kept the metal cookie cutters in an oatmeal can and by the time my brothers and I were done there was flour on the floor, our bellies ached from eating too many of the decorations and the dough, but it was great. A large part of this too, was mom putting on Johnny Mathis Cristmas music on the turntable on the super hi fi in the living room. The whole house filled with the music. As an adult, my mom bought me one of the CD's and on my iPod in later years I downloaded all my favorites. I even downloaded John Denver and The Muppets Christmas, another record my mom loves. The only thing is, I had no way to fill my house with these sounds...until now. The perfect gift at the perfect time. So, tomorrow, I have the privilege of carrying out this tradition in fine style. I even have mom's cookie cutters as she gave them to me a few years ago. By the way...my children have there own Christmas favorites. Now I will fill the house with the meowing cat version of Dominic the Donkey, and The Fruitcake song. Be ready Santa, treats are coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment