Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Life as a Christian Song...

With three children, two adoptions underway, and working three twelve hour shifts a week in one of four different hospital emergency rooms I find that most of my worship and prayer time happens in the car. Driving to school to pick up kids, running to work, running errands on a day off. I just seem to be alone in the car with some regularity. Through it all I have decided my life has become the lyrics of a christian song. For example, I blogged about Lincoln Brewster's "Everlasting God", as in "strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord.". My favorite line through this torturous wait of adoption.

Today, I found a different sort of song that spoke to me. It is by Steven Curtis Chapman. It is called "Everything You Do". I originally loved this song as in the first lines it talks about picking up toys on the living room floor for the fifteenth time today, matching up socks, sweeping up lost Cheerios that got away...on an on he lists the tasks of my everyday boring life and the point is reached where we are to do what we do for the glory of God no matter what it is. That spoke to me, yet today I heard a whole new message, one I needed. One thing a lot of us mamas never talk about is that small percentage of people in our lives who do not understand this adoption process. The ones who do not support bringing home a child of another race. Fortunate,y, for me there are very few such people, but I had a recent encounter such as this. It reminded me that following God's plan is not easy. People may not agree or even try to step in and redirect our efforts. So, back to the song...I heard a line as if I had never heard it for the first time. Let everything you do tell the story of Grace. Now that we have named our new daughter Grace as a reminder of God's grace to us, this line meant a lot. I began to think of all the unglamourous things that go with finishing her adoption. The finger printing, the papers, the crazy seals and copies and let me not forget all the craziness as this person who plans every moment can hardly tolerate the continuous state of flux that is this process. Couple that with people who ask why not a sports car? Why not a fancy vacation? Why not do something else with your money? Why go through this aggravation? Didn't we want to retire some day? All those thoughts that seem to follow some logical lines and basically go against it all. Because, whatever I do will be to put a smile on His face and will tell the story of Grace (and Alex). :)

1 comment:

  1. And Grace's story will be an amazing one :) The question about wanting to retire someday... this has Darren and I laughing at ourselves. As we see friends who's children are getting to the age of independence-and even (gasp!) moving away from home... and here we are starting over again! It's a wonderful privilege - one I hope He blesses me with the energy for. I can't imagine using my money towards anything more blessed or fulfilling. Everything else will diminish or break down - these children will be a presence in our lives until we pass on - and then hopefully for eternity! What an investment that is!!

    ReplyDelete