Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Not the News We Hoped For....

Well, it has been an interesting day. Tim has emailed our coordinator twice this week, and after getting no answer, I bit the bullet and emailed her too. One thing we have learned about Haiti is that "later" takes on a whole new meaning.  "Nothing to report" translates to unanswered email. After 20 months of this journey I have grown accustomed to these things, however, at times my American heritage, i.e. info on demand, gets the best of me and I simply need to hear the actual words,"nothing to report".  S, I carefully crafted an email, laced with complements (which in all honesty were heartfelt as negotiating the Haitian system is very difficult, yet our coordinator perseveres), and encouragement as she becomes frustrated too. Much to my surprise I had an answer immediately. Grace's mother was located and the man brought her to Rachel to finish out our court process.  Only one issue, it was not Grace's mother. Our coordinator explained to me she had a similar name and that was the reason for the confusion. That led me to wonder, although I did not ask, why would this mystery woman come to participate in an adoption legal proceeding that quite obviously was not hers?  The village is very far away from Port Au Prince, a 12 hour walk, and a 6 hour tap tap ride after the walk.  Where did this woman think she was going? And for what?

As my curious nature mulled this over, I was informed by our coordinator that she did in fact, find the man who had originally brought Grace's mother. He was to get back to our coordinator late this afternoon. I did not hear anything after that, but there are some things that have stayed with me. First, our coordinator encouraged me not to lose faith. This is moving under the hand of God even if the answers are not here in front of us. At that moment, I was once again reminded why we work with this woman. Her relentless work on our behalf plus her unwavering faith have guided us through. The next thing that happened was the solicitation of prayer from my fellow mama blanc's. The outpouring in a matter of minutes continued to encourage me.

Ultimately, I texted my husband. He was working late. Somehow, we are both ok. Not thhe news we were looking for, but oddly we have the feeling that once again, God's plan is bigger than we have thought. So, we are pressing on.  We are busily making plans for the big house overhaul that starts next week and getting excited to see what is coming our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment