Monday, November 19, 2012

Reflections from the Great Wolf

Six years ago, our family suffered horrific tragedy. Three deaths in 15 months of close family members.  My mother-in-law of a spontaneous brain bleed, Tim's aunt who lived with her of multiple medical issues, and my sister-in-law of a freak accident. All the sudden, our Sunday dinners ended, our holidays would be be changed forever. So, the first Thanksgiving we needed a good distraction for the kids. We checked in to the Great Wolf Lodge, an indoor water park hotel. Our kids have come to expect this trip annually around Thanksgiving. So, here we are, swimming, eating, and generally having fun.

Yesterday, I was sitting in the family hot tub trying to picture what this trip will look like next year. I see in my mind's eye Grace and Alex in the kid section going down the short slides. I see them in the water section playing in the fountains splashing around in the bathing suits I have already bought. The princess suit for Grace, and the shark suit for Alex. However, as I am enjoying this notion I am looking around at the other babies and children with their parents as they play when it hits me...they are all white. Grace and Alex are not. Through this thought I am suddenly reminded of all the things I have read about transracial adoption. Here we will stand out. Will it seem strange to Grace and Alex?
Will they realize they are some of the only black children?  I began to realize it was time to start practicing all those clever answers that I have heard to the inevitable questions...Where are they from?  I have decided to answer with:  Heaven. God sent them to us.  Aren't we lucky?  To the stares:  I know, it is hard to stop looking as they are so beautiful.   

Hmmm...seems as if it is time to go back and retread that stuff as I just heard Alex's adoption decree will be done this week. Grace will not be far behind. It is overwhelming to me that this is now becoming real. Guess I better get to work preparing to be their mommy. Well, will work on it more tomorrow. For today, I will work on enjoying the hot tub as I have a feeling next year I will be a bit busy for the hot tub!

No comments:

Post a Comment