Thursday, September 1, 2011

Amazing Blessings

As I look though my fellow blogger Denise's post, I become acutely aware that I am not the only one suffering from the frustration of no news. Through it all though, I learned something in the last few days. I have a colleague, former employer and friend who is Lybian. In February, he went to Lybia to help with the war effort. I couldn't imagine him doing this. He is a successful neurosurgeon, with a wife and four children. Why would he do this? He explained at the time he just had to see if he could help. I told him to be careful. Less than a month after his arrival there he was reported missing. It was weeks before it was finally discovered he had, in fact, been captured and was in jail. There was no other news for months until last week. Te rebels had taken Tripoli and he had been freed when the rebels stormed the jail. He arrived home here last night to a hero's welcome at the airport. Such a huge blessing.

He and I have spent much time together. Between middle of the night craniotomies to long philosophical discussions in the office. He is Muslim and I, am christian. I must admit I knew nothing about his religion until we worked together. He explained we worship the same God, just he believed Jesus to be a prophet, not the son of God. He was well versed at the old testament and spent much time in prayer. I remember on Fridays at his appointed hour if he could not slip out to church, he would quietly go in his office and shut the door for his prayer time. One Friday, however stand out to me. He did not have time to go to his office, he was waiting on a case to begin. He simply took a green surgery towel, found an empty OR and knelt and prayed. Why? It was time to pray, plain and simple. We are not used to that in our society, so there was plenty of snickering. I must admit, even for me it seemed a bit much. Now, though, I think it was his faithfulness that got him through. He never cared who saw him pray, and was not going to let the realities of life stand in his way.

Today, he appeared on the evening news. He was much thinner, and looked every bit his 50 years, but there it was his unwavering faith. He pulled his shirt up and the scars of numerous beatings were obvious. He was asked if he feared death during his time in captivity. He said no. He said he remained faithful feeling that if it were his time to die, then God would take him. He said for the faithful, death is not to be feared. He sat with his family, all smiling broadly ready to move forward with life. He even talked about coming back to work, I can't wait! Nonetheless, it was a good reminder that God is there even when times are frustrating and hard.

As if that were not lesson enough, my good friend had her much awaited baby today. After a tough job, a tough time getting pregnant and a host of other difficult things, her baby was perfect, her job is awesome and her life has all come together. Blessings upon blessings for sure. Through my frustration it is wonderful to have a front row seat to God's amazing works. I guess I will try to be more patient. :)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, Amy. I just realized that when I am frustrated in the waiting for MY sake, I am a useless grump. When I am frustrated for HER sake, it brings me to my knees...Perspective is always good.

    ReplyDelete