Monday, September 19, 2011

Finally, there was news...

Today was probably not the best day to work. I was distracted and worried all day. Good thing we were not that busy in the area of the trauma center I was working in. Mom's mastectomy was supposed to start at 2:30. My brother said they took her back at 1:30. I waited and waited only to hear at 5 she was still in holding. It turns out that they had some trouble getting the rooms moving there. She is in Chicago, I am in West Virginia. She went into surgery in good spirits and I did get to tell her, via text message that I loved her as she went off. The next three hours were like torture as I waited and waited. The good news is I got off work and got to come home. Finally, my brother called. She was out and in recovery. He is not a medical person, but did such a good job talking to the surgeon. Things"went better than expected". It had "not been as hard as they thought." They even think she will go home tomorrow. I was very grateful that one of her surgeries ended in good news. Every other one in her string of biopsies have been bad news. Always malignant, always more treatment to come, always more surgery. I am happy to not hear that today. I grieve for her and this diagnosis, but am grateful to God she ended up where she did with such good care. The original plan did not include such an extensive workup. Despite all the hard news, God brought her where she needs to be and for that I am very grateful.

I must admit through my prayer time I have grown a bit selfish. I have been begging for a break in the action. Some little ray of sunshine to hold on to. Today it happened. God sent me just a little break in the clouds. I got in the car to go to work. I turned on klove as I always do. It was then I caught it, an ad for Chris Thomlin. He is coming to town! One of my fellow Mama Blanc's recently posted all the lyrics to one of his songs on our list serve as many of us mom's are struggling in the wait. "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord" the song goes. Wouldn't you know I get to hear that live. I immediately got online and bought tickets. I didn't bother asking Tim, I simply emailed him the confirmation with a little note. He loved it. So, we now have an awesome date night planned for Nov 5 to hear one of our favorite artists. One little ray of sunshine when we really needed it. Now, here's to hoping those papers arrive soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment