Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day!

Well...it's Mother's Day. My day, so to speak. I spent the morning at church as I always do on a Sunday. It is funny how God works, even on a normal Sunday. This week it has been gnawing away at me, that one of my family members is not very excited about this adoption. I have tried to share my story with this person in the hopes that they would become excited. They would feel that pull of God that I feel and know the rightness of it all. This person is not negative about things, just indifferent. There is No reaction when I discuss it, no questions, no nothing. He politely waits for me to finish talking then promptly changes the subject. I have come to gather from other sources in the family this person has many concerns about this. He feels I may be too old, I am 41. He feels I have enough on my plate, three kids and work. I tried sending pictures of the baby, and he simply dismissed them with polite comments when he finally got around to looking at them. So, this has left me a bit shaken, but not to the place I would stop this process.

Fast forward to today. The sermon was about what happens next. How do we as Christians move beyond the empty tomb and the celebration of the resurrection. What happens next? I guess I never thought of it this way. We really spend a lot of time celebrating the miracle of Easter, but what then. My pastor said three words,"It's your move." I found myself smiling. God has moved me. It is my move and my job to bring Nate home. Anything else takes away from my focus on God. He compared it to a chess game and told us if we don't move when it is our turn we forfeit. Was I really willing to forfeit God's best because of another influence? I was not.

I spent the afternoon gathering yet more paperwork. I also made the family's favorite dinner chicken picatta and strawberry shortcake. What would Mother's Day be if I couldn't be the best mom I knew how to be. Now I am pouring over cards made with printer paper and markers by my boys trying to find out when the best time to cash in my free kiss coupon would be and wondering if my baby Nate knows how much I already love him. I am also thinking about how glad I am to have it be "my move" as I am quite sure this is one of God's bests.

No comments:

Post a Comment