Saturday, May 28, 2011

A surprise...a birth mom

Just when I thought I understood this process, I realize I know very little. Yes, I felt the hand of God as we made the decision to move forward. The answers were fairly clear and the blessings to make this possible have fallen into place. Yes, God says take this child, love him make him your own, the rest would happen. Then, today, an email. A message from the orphanage director asking for photos of our family for Nate's mom. Ummmmm....Nate's mom???!!!!

I was filled with a mixture of fear, excitement, sadness, panic, confusion, on and on. I replied with a question about what she knew about Nate's family. What I got back blew me away. His mother had confided in the orphanage director that she had twins. One of the babies died and with Nate's illness on and off, she could not care for him. She said she used to climb the mountain and beg God to keep her child safe and bring a family who could care for him. She admitted it would be hard to part with him, but was willing to give him away to keep him alive.

As a mother, I couldn't imagine such an impossible choice. Here I was selfishly thinking God was blessing me so greatly with this little bundle of joy, but the reality is, He is weaving a very complex plan for the life of little Nate. He was answering his birth mother's prayers and I am humbled to be the apparent answer to the trips up the mountain to be with God. It makes my comfy seat at church to pray from seem a bit insignificant.

I have told the orphanage director that we would be happy to meet this incredible woman that has given birth to our son. We have offered to keep her updated on Nate's life through pictures and letters. She will meet with the director again on Monday to share her story with the director to be shared with us, and we have emailed our family story to share with her. Hopefully that visit will go well and we can see them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment