Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Whirlwind days...

Well, the last few days have been a whirlwind. After multiple emails back and forth with the orphanage director and our coordinator I learned that Nate's birth mother has already given up her parental rights legally. I just admit, this looming over was a bit daunting for me. I also found out she visits at times and Nate is fine when she is there, then cries for a minute or two when she leaves, then he goes back to playing with the other kids. I wonder what must be going through Nate's mind as she comes and goes. Does he realize what has happened? Probably not. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not. To think that he doesn't realize this is his mother coming and going may be an ok thought, but to think orphanage life is just normal is hard to swallow. Really nothing is easy about any of this for Nate. It just makes me hope things move quickly so we can give him a family.

Tonight was one of my favorite weekly events. Dinner with Zachary. We sat at Bob Evans waiting for his brother to finish his trampoline practice as we do every Wednesday. I tried once again in vain to explain the actual rules of tic tac toe. I watched the corner of his mouth turn up as he pretended to get it, then announced he had won because he had three X's together. Never mind that they weren't in a row. He understands the game, he just likes to win. Www laughed and laughed. I treasure our dates, but tonight I got to looking at one of the empty chairs and wondered how it is going to be when Nate is sitting there. I started to discuss with with Zachary. He excitedly told me that when Nate comes to Bob Evans with us he will teach him tic tic toe and share his ice cream. He's excited. I am glad. It is not always easy to give up being the baby, but in his mind, he's traded it for something much more important, being the big brother.

Otherwise, we finished our psych eval yesterday, social worker Sunday, then seals for the documents and off to translation!

No comments:

Post a Comment