Saturday, June 18, 2011

Amazing 5 year old

Once again I find myself amazed at my five year old. Today, I took my boys to the mall. Jack at the ripe old age of 15 never seems to fit into anything and I find shopping for clothes to be as normal as going to the grocery store. That is another thing I have to do constantly with a 15 year old. Anyway, my youngest really isn't a big fan of being dragged from one trendy teenage store to another. So as we got through it, Zachary's big reward was to go to The Disney Store. We decided today he would pick out a toy for Nate. That way, Tim and I could take something special to Haiti from Zachary. It started out being a way for me to soften the blow of Tim and I going to Haiti for a few days. Zachary hates for me to go to Zumba, let alone be gone all together for a few days. I thought if I had to deliver a toy from him he would see the importance. I had no idea that he would show me how important all of this to him.

I let him lead the way. He carefully walked through the aisles ever searching. When we were looking at the Cars toddler plates and cups a nice salesperson approached Zachary. "Would you like to come make a French flag in honor of Cars 2?". She showed him the colorful flags. He said,"No, I am getting a new brother.". She looked a bit confused and I explained we were adopting a baby from Haiti. Zachary chimed in with,"His name is Nate." The salesperson actually teared up a bit. She then went in back and brought Zachary two Cars puzzles for free. She said one was for him and one was for Nate. In all, it took him quite some time to pick things out. He picked out a Cars plate in the shape of Lightening McQueen, and matching silverware that actually has wheels on the end. He took great pride in explaining how Nate will "vroom his fork" across the table. The funny thing was, it all matched my sippie cups I bought weeks ago. It is amazing to me how much he is like me.

With dinner ware in hand it was time to go and find a toy to go to Haiti. He searched high and low. Nothing seemed to work. I watched him completely understanding his emotion. It was like the day I had hunted high and low not really knowing what I wanted until I found Courdoroy. Then he saw it. A Sheriff car from the movie "Cars". Zachary explained he just knew Nate loved police cars just like him and he was going to love the "Cars" movie too. So, my little pile for Nate is growing. Courdoroy, the beach ball and now, Sheriff. Pretty soon we will have a date, a mere few weeks away. It makes me wonder if my little one has any idea what is coming his way.

Now for the next hurdle...documents need to arrive back from translation, that will be Monday. Then, off to the consulate. That will be another week, then off to Haiti for the enormous wait. Am praying God being God, will see fit to move that mountain. In the meantime, I will look forward to the 36 uninterrupted hours I will have with my little Nate in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment